All I want is...To Love this Body

Our society has created and often promoted unrealistic body ideals. It's hard enough to not get caught up in comparing yourself to these unrealistic standards.




But no, the media serves us daily reminders. There is always some new hair laser therapy, teeth whitening, slim tea, skin lightening, butt enlargement, penis enlargement, hair growth, pink-lips-inducing therapy reminding us of all the things we lack and how easy we could get them just by 'Adding to Cart'.
Society's ideal woman is supposed to be slim but thick, curvy but not fat. These ideals swing like a pendulum depending on the fad. At one time, skinny was in. Nowadays slim thick is the new black. Men are not exempt from this craziness. Society expects men to resemble Popeye the sailor but without the spinach. 



This is probably responsible for the surge in male gym membership subscriptions and sale of whey protein. Note to men, you can't all be Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson. Note to women, not all muscular men are manly where and when it really matters.
What does a healthy body image even mean these days? I was running on the treadmill the other day besides this fabulous looking tall drink of water, who thought her stomach was too big. I almost knocked her in the head with a kettle bell. I imagine it's the same way my friends feel about me when I complain about my weight.


Body image is how we view our bodies when we look in the mirror or when we picture ourselves in our minds. A lot of us have what is referred to as a negative or distorted body image. This is an unrealistic view of how we see our bodies. We begin forming your perceptions of your body’s attractiveness, health, acceptability, and functionality in early childhood.  This body image continues to form as we age and receive feedback from peers and family member. Personality traits such as perfectionism and self-criticism can also influence the development of a negative internalized image of our bodies.

This perception of our body plays a pivotal role in our self esteem. If we are too critical of our bodies, we are likely to feel inadequate and ashamed of our bodies

For me, I was called 'orobo' (fatty) throughout my childhood even though I've never weighed above 55kg for a 5 feet 3 minute woman. That word has stuck to my mind like a pesky flea.

In Nigeria where people feel mandated to give unsolicited health and fitness tips, it's not uncommon to receive comments like "You've gained weight", or "You are fine, just don't add any more weight", or "You know you have the tendency to get fat, right?".

What the bloody heck!. 

People have no verbal filters. 

I can't count the number of times I've been tempted to just stick a finger down my throat and force it all out. But I'm more afraid of addiction than weight gain. Anorexia nervosa is not an easy eating disorder to recover from.

'Body dysmorphia' (It's a real thing. Check it out) is more common than you think. 

Body image issues are complex and much more that just I Hate or Love My Body. The dissatisfaction can range from a little to a severe body-hatred. 

So do you find yourself regularly criticizing your appearance? Do you feel uncomfortable without make-up on? Is that balding or receding hairline a source of embarrassment to you such that you apply hair fiber spray constantly? (Yes, people do this). Have you never left your house without a waist trainer? Do your measles scars make you ashamed?

Well, let me tell you something you probably didn't know...You are beautiful. You are created in the image and likeness of God and he is breathtakingly beautiful. 


So it's not about what society thinks, what your mom said, or what the scales say. Start with renewing your mind, conditioning it if you will, to see yourself as beautiful. Then start to love that beautiful body and take care of it.

Yes, I said it. Take care of that body. Exercise and eating should come as a result of self-love and not as a means to self-love.

A healthy body image means you are comfortable with the body you have. It does not mean you think your body is perfect, rather, that you accept it and commit to loving and caring for it.

The world is already beating us down with bills, adult responsibilities and unrealistic expectations. Why beat yourself up even further by worrying about how you look?

In the words of Henry Thoreau, I stand in awe of my body. 

What do you stand in awe of?




Comments

Popular Posts